Applications Invited for Youth Science Journalism Programme
Graduates in science and technology, communications and journalism are invited to apply for a one-year internship programme under the Innovation Partnership for Rural Development Programme (IPRDP), part of the Department of Science and Technology’s support for government’s Comprehensive Rural Development Programme. The IPRDP is funded through the European Union’s general budget support programme.
Successful applicants will be placed at community media outlets in identified municipalities in: KwaZulu-Natal, the Eastern Cape, Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, the North West and Limpopo, to write for broadcast, online and/or print media about science, technology and innovation (STI), and how these fields can improve people’s quality of life. This will include developing popular articles about technologies piloted in communities and their perceived impact on the community, as well as innovations in communities.
- KwaZulu-Natal (Ilembe, uMzinyathi, uMkhanyakhude, uThukela, Uthungulu and uMgungundlovu);
- Eastern Cape (Amathole, OR Tambo, Chris Hani, Alfred Nzo and Joe Gqabi
- Mpumalanga (Sekhukhune and Ehlanzen0;
- North West (Bojanala, Ngaka Modiri Molema and Or Ruth Segomotsi Mompati);
- Gauteng (City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality and City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality);
- Northern Cape (Namakwa District Municipality and Pixley Ka Seme District);
- Limpopo (Capricorn and Vhembe)
The journalism project is managed by the South African Agency for Science and Technology Advancement, a business unit of the National Research Foundation that focuses on promoting interest, awareness and engagement in STI among the youth.
Successful applicants will begin the programme 02 January 2018, and will receive a monthly stipend of R4 000 (for national diploma holders), R4 500 (for BTech and bachelor’s graduates) and R5 000 (for those with an Honours degree).
- A national diploma, BTech or Bachelor’s degree in a science-related field or Communication/Journalism
- Computer literacy
- Good interpersonal, creative writing and/or radio skills
- A driver’s licence would be an advantage.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com on or before 17 November 2017.
You are welcome to contact: Mr Zamuxolo Matiwana, at tel: (012) 392 9319, or email: Zamuxolo@saasta.ac.za if you have any questions about the programme.