Do you enjoy building software? Are you interested in web services and cloud computing? Do you want to make an impact on millions of developers and IT professionals? If so, we would like to talk to you. Join Amazon Web Services as a Software Development Engineering Intern in Cape Town. The current intake is for the December 2017 – January 2018 period. At the end of your 2 month period, we go through an evaluation process. This may include communication about future internship programs at other times of the year during your studies.
The Amazon Web Services (AWS) team focuses on understanding and improving the performance and usability of AWS and ultimately the end-to-end customer experience.
What can you expect from your internship with Amazon?
The kind of work interns do in Cape Town and the kind of work here generally sees the teams work on various aspects of EC2 including (but not limited to) the EC2 Web Console, the EC2 APIs, control plane workflow services that handle resource allocation (storage and network for example) and coordinating the pieces necessary to turn these resources into a running virtual machine.
In addition, teams here own what we call placement (physical host selection based on a set of constraints), and then a pretty wide range of tools for understanding what the overall customer experience is and why our systems are doing what they’re doing (when they don’t do what we want or expect J).
Interns join a specific team and will pick up project work in that team’s domain. There’s an initial ramp up period (getting used to Amazon’s tooling, the team’s software and a problem statement) and then we aim to give you something interesting and challenging that you can deliver within the time frame of your internship. The idea is to build and ship working software into production before you’re done.
What should you do?
- Write a two page CV. In addition to the usual, there are a few extra things we’re interested in seeing:
- What year of study are you in right now (2017) and what are your plans for next year? (Honours? 3rd Year?)
- Acopy of your latest academic transcript.
- Tell us about leadership positions you’ve held, if any?
- Tell us about other internships you’ve completed?
- What are your related hobbies and interests?
- Do you have any related memberships or participated in any Olympiads
What can you look forward to?
- A two month internship at AWS in Cape Town
- Being mentored by experienced Amazon leaders and engineers
- Working on real problems and finding solutions
- A competitive internship payment
- If you are relocating from outside of Cape Town and surrounds, you may be eligible for a housing allowance.
How to apply